Italy is a little different from the U.S. Our apartment is on base, which is as close as we can get to American, but even so there are some changes. Here's a list of the things I've noticed so far:
1) All the floors are tile here. There isn't even one carpeted room in this whole building!
2) The power isn't as reliable. A few days ago we came back from the park hot and sweating to find that the AC wasn't working.
3) The water isn't always hot. Something's wrong with our water heater, so watch out! The shower water goes from perfect to freezing to boiling hot.
4) We have to walk everywhere. Our car will take a few weeks to get here, so if we want to go somewhere it has to be within walking distance.
5) We've had to make the change from loading the dishwasher to being the dishwasher, as our apartment inconveniently lacks one.
6) The library is very, very small, much different from what I'm used to. They only have five knitting books!
7) Italians drive very fast. Try to avoid crossing busy intersections.
8) There are palm trees! Okay, Las Vegas had palm trees, too. But these ones are different. They're just. . . .different. Italian. I hadn't realized how much I'd missed them. They're everywhere here.
9) The ice cream is yummier! Italian gilato is much tastier than plain old American ice cream. I can't wait to have some more!
I think that's all so far. I'm sure that once we move into our house and start making new friends everything will seem different (we have yet to try Italian pizza), but that's all for now. I'll keep you posted!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm really enjoying hearing all about Italy from your perspective, Charis!:) Do you want me to come over to take a turn as a dishwasher for you? I would gladly do that you know!!
ReplyDeleteThen I could also taste that wonderful gilato and also the REAL Italian pizza as well! Hopefully some day we can do just that! We sure are missing all of you! Hope soon we can see and talk to you via SKYPE. Love you all so much!! XOXOXO Grandma K
Charis,
ReplyDeleteI so enjoy reading both your blog and your Mom's blog! When your Daddy was your age, we lived in Indonesia for only 4 months, and our house was tiny with very unreliable electricity as well. While we were there, we ate at both Pizza Hut and McDonalds. It was just like you said - different. The food wasn't better or worse - just different. We had to do all the dishes AND all the laundry by hand. We had to hang the clothes outside to dry, but we were there during the rainy season. It rained everyday BEFORE the clothes were dry - GGGRRR!!! All in all, it was still an amazingly wonderful experience.
Love and Hugs to you and the rest of your family, Grandma J